Monday, June 15, 2009

I couldn't look...so sad.

For only a half a day, a lot of progress was made.
At about 2:00, all chaos let loose. GSM was supposed to move the air conditioner this morning, but never showed up - plus Steve, the Puhlmann guy was supposed to show up and tell us the opinion on the deck support beams. I thought Tony was not going to show up today, so I wasn't real concerned.... until Tony showed up! Then I called Steve, and the decision was made to replace the beams since the rotting would get worse; so someone is coming out tomorrow to replace them. Then, GSM could not come out today, so we called Klassen to disconnect the air conditioner - and they were awesome - they were here within an hour. As you can see, all of the sidewalks have been torn out - mom said the sidewalks were as old as Diane - so 50 years? Wow. Amazing they lasted that long, but they needed to be replaced.

You may be wondering about today's title, and why it is. Well, we had this beautiful pine tree that was in the backyard, and when I planted in several years ago, I did not have the foresight how big it would get. Tony was going to curve the sidewalk around it - but in the near future the tree would have gotten taller, but the power lines are above it, and it would have gotten wider - just over hanging the sidewalk again. So, to be practical, it did not pay to design a sidewalk around a tree that would have to be cut down soon anyways. So, I made the hard decision to have them take it out - but I said, don't let me see you do it. I went into the house to get their brownies while they pulled it out, and you can see it laying there - sooooooo sad!! :-(( You may be wondering who the children are - they are 2 out of the 6 kids that Tony has, and they are so neat! The boy's name in Matthew, and the girl's name is Rachel. They helped Tony today - and it was fun to have them around. Matthew thought our yard was fun, we found pipes, cables, wires (of course they were dead), a knife, lots of bigger rocks.... I hope they come back another day. Pam - the landing we made... Tony can keep part of it, but the other part needs to do be redone to match the new sidewalk. Whew - what a day! It is quite the challenge trying to get to the garage! Cross your fingers that it does not rain that they can continue tomorrow morning - to put gravel/sand down, compact it, and then start laying the pavers! It is going to take a whole lot of pavers!! I will keep you posted!







No comments: