Saturday, January 5, 2008

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:45 PM

I wanted to send an up-date on our newest addition and this is the easiest way for me to do this from the hospital.

Devin Andrew Filzen was born July 31st at 8:55 a.m., he weighed 7 pounds 6 oz. and was 21 1/4 inches.

I was able to nurse him several times on the first day.

He had surgury on his back to close up the lesion from about 7:30-9:00 a.m. on Wednesday and was out most of the the day. I was able to begin feeding him very late that day.

On Thursday they did an MRI that took from 3:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. in order to get the detail they needed on the spine. He had a seditive to get him through the MRI and was very inactive until part way through the night when he started nursing again. The IV came out shortly after the MRI and the desicion was made to go to all nursing.

Devin developed some jandice Thursday that became worse on Friday but has since improved.
Several doctors have been monitoring Devin throughout this process, but the most hands-on doctor has been Dr. Fallace. He performed the surgury and has been changing the dressing every day since. He and several other doctors have also been monitoring Devin's head for signs of Hydrocephalus. On Thursday, Dr. Fallace came to see us in my room and indicated that there was not any Hydrocephalus, but indicated he wanted to keep him in NICU until Wednesday to monitor him. If they determine that he needs a shunt between now and then he will do surgury that day and Devin will need to stick around a couple more days. This morning he came in to see Devin and is planning an Ultrasound for Tuesday morning. If that comes back O.K. he will discharge Devin, but we still are waiting on the Orthopedic doctor to fit Devin for a brace for his dislocated left hip and a cast for his foot (one of a series of casts to get the foot into allignment).

I was officailly discharged from the hospital on Friday evening, but Children's Miricle network is picking up the cost of me staying here if they have room. I am staying so that I can nurse Devin and bond with him. Cooper & Allie have been able to come see him about every other day and Derek is here every day for at least part of the day.

I started this e-mail last night and then had to go nurse Devin. While I was with Devin, it was determined that they needed my room for an incoming C-section so I no longer have a room. I am pretty much staying in the Neonatal ICU. I can not be reached in the ICU as they do not allow cell phones.

I'm crossing my fingers that Devin can go home tomarrow and I can get a couple goods nights (and maybe days) of sleep.
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers!

No comments: