Saturday, January 5, 2008

Thursday, October 4, 2007 3:08 PM


I figured I had better send an up-date as several people have called to find out how things are going. Not that I don't want people to call, but I thought you might be interested.

As I said before, compared to the surgeries, everything has been pretty uneventful. Devin has had the brace on for 4 weeks now. They added casts 2 weeks ago in order to keep the legs in a position that would help the "sockets" of his hips to grow deeper from the pressure of the "ball" (sorry Dave, I don't have the technical terms here!). The casts are a flexible material that they get wet and wrap on and unwrap off. They have kind of a rubbery feel to them. People tend to ask how long he has to have the brace on. The short answer is that we don't know for sure. His "sockets" were very shallow. They seem to have been a little better this week and Dr. Winterstein was going to give it another week to see how things progress (they changed the casts this week to accommodate his growth). She mentioned another kind of cast and/or surgery if this does not work, but does not want to do either of those if they are not necessary. While the brace and casts limit his mobility in certain directions, it does not eliminate the ability for him to move his legs completely. I suspect that the alternative cast she is talking about will eliminate all movement.

They are very happy with all other aspects of his development and he is more and more content in his environment every day. Of course that changes as they poke and prod him. He is right on target for many of his small motor skills and has developed a "social" smile in the last 2 weeks. Part of the reason he is more content is also that he is able to see more things at a distance. With Cooper and Allie around he always has a moving object to watch!

Allie has decided that "hospitals" are fun. She has been accompanying us to many of Devin's appointments and is more than willing to entertain the nurses. In return they usually reward her with some small trinket.

Hope all is going well for you!

No comments: