Saturday, January 5, 2008

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:22 PM

Including today, we have been to Gunderson 5 times in the last week! The long and short of all of it is that Devin was the first child our Orthopedic has had to out grow a Spica cast within the 6 weeks. I guess that means he's really growing. Most of it seems to be rolls of baby fat. He really wants to be moving but with the Spica that is pretty much impossible. I have attached pictures of Devin and his new cast. I am including Cooper's design plans for the cast because I think he did such a nice job. The hat was a creation by the surgical team (stockinet with a rubber band and cotton ball at one end and colored with whatever red marker they had available).

Dr. Wintersteen (our Orthopedic) indicated that everything is doing really good, especially the right hip. The right hip was the first one detected as bad at birth, which means it was probable worse than the left but now it seems that the right is doing better than the left. I think some of that goes back to the Pavlik Harness. When he was in the Pavlik, he would pull one leg up more than the other. When he pulled it up, it would roll out of socket.

Because Devin out grew the first Spica cast in about 4 weeks she is planning for just 4 week on this cast as well. She is hoping to be able to put him back in a Pavlik Harness at that time. If the Pavlik does not keep things stable enough she will again consider the Spica cast. They have done some blood tests and an ultrasound on his renal and kidney areas within the last week, all of this has come back good.

Devin continues to observe his environment. He has developed a nice "social" smile, as a variety of sounds and loves to watch all the excitement that is our home. He frequently has his fist or thumb in his mouth. As determined as Cooper and Allie are in life, I think Devin will surpass them in this area.

No comments: